Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Makeup FX Laboratories

Today I had to honor of touring my new favorite FX studio, MEL FX.  These are the guys who fabricated the eggs for the movie Aliens.
They also made the Borg suit for Seven of Nine in Star Trek Voyager:

I got to touch one of the original Borg suits, and see all the foam latex equipment, the vacuum forming area, the metal machining stuff and all manners of delightful past projects.  Check out their website for tons of pictures. Their project list is longer than my arm.

The owner was kind enough to sit down with me and talk about the business. I asked him lots of questions about how FX studios work and how a person starts in that kind of career.  30 minutes later [!!] he offered me an apprenticeship at the studio.  I almost fell out of my chair in excitement!  Accepted immediately.

So now I'm looking at juggling 3 part-time jobs. Wow.

No comments: